The winter holiday season is a time for celebration, but a DUI can have a lasting impact on your life.
In Northeastern Florida and across the U.S., traffic enforcement campaigns that target impaired or intoxicated drivers often ramp up around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. This is because severe and fatal drunk driving accidents typically spike this time of year during the holiday season.
The downside of kicked-up traffic enforcement is that police are under pressure to make lots of DUI arrests - whether they find allegedly "drunk drivers" or not. Because an officer's "reasonable suspicion" is enough grounds for a DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol) arrest, many good people are unfairly arrested and charged with DUI every year.
However, there are ways to reduce your risk of getting a Florida DUI or DWI (driving while intoxicated) over the holidays.
What to do if you are charged with a Florida DUI
Aguilar and Sieron, P.A. is a criminal defense law firm with more than 30 years of experience helping people fight Florida DUI charges. We know what it takes to avoid a DUI here.
The following tips may help you prevent a drunk driving arrest over the holidays.
And remember: If you are arrested for DUI, don't talk to the police. No matter how an officer frames it, nothing you can say will improve the situation. Instead, ask for a lawyer, then use your right to remain silent. Aguilar and Sieron, P.A. offers free case consultations to people facing criminal charges and DUI in Northeastern Florida.
5 tips to avoid DUI
- Don't drink. Stay sober. This may seem obvious, but it's worth stating that if you don't drink, it is very unlikely you will get a DUI charge.
- Call an Uber, Lyft, or taxi. Get a ride home with a friend or family member. If you are feeling "buzzed" or a little "tipsy," it's a good idea that you do not drive. Instead, call a rideshare company or a taxi, or get a ride home from a friend or family member.
- Eat up! Consuming food and non-alcoholic beverages while also drinking alcohol can reduce the effect alcohol has on the body. High-protein foods, in particular, are good at absorbing alcohol.
- Host the party at your place. You can't get pulled over by a police officer if you aren't in a car. If you enjoy entertaining, consider having a holiday party at your home.
- Get a hotel or sleepover. If you are too intoxicated or impaired to drive and cannot get a ride home, ask the host if you can sleep over or get a motel or hotel room for the night. It is never a good idea to drink and drive. Paying for a hotel room is much cheaper than losing your license and paying the hefty fines and fees associated with a DUI conviction.
Do I need a lawyer for a Florida DUI?
In the U.S., people charged with crimes have the right to an attorney. At Aguilar & Sieron, P.A., our Jacksonville DUI attorneys conduct thorough investigations that turn up strong evidence to support your defense. Your Florida DUI lawyer can answer police questions and argue to get the charges against you dismissed. Your lawyer can also recognize inconsistencies and civil rights violations in the case against you. They can help you apply for a temporary driver's license and fight for you in court.
All these things require focused attention on your case and years of experience getting the best results for people charged with DUI in Clay County, St. Johns County, and the surrounding area.
Our Clay County DUI defense attorneys can help
A DUI conviction is life-altering - and not in a good way. The DUI defense attorneys at Aguilar & Sieron, P.A. are dedicated to protecting your rights and freedom. Our winning track record on Florida DUIs is substantial.
If you have been charged or suspect you will be charged with a DUI in Northeastern Florida, contact Aguilar & Sieron, P.A., for a free case consultation. At no cost to you, a member of our team can answer your DUI-related questions and help you decide what to do next.
Don't delay. Law enforcement and the justice system are building the strongest case possible against you. Get a fighter on your side. Our law firm is in Green Cove Springs, and someone is available to hear from you anytime, day or night. Contact us for a free case consultation right now.